The VMS data feed provides details on the permanent Variable Message Signs in the North East; such as location, configuration and dynamic display information updates. VMS data is split across 2 feeds.
The static VMS data provides information on all Variable Message signs in the North East. The data for static feed includes:
- The System Code Number or unique ID
- A Short Description – Short name
- A Long Description – Full name
- Geo-reference of the Location, in Easting/Northing & Latitude/Longitude
- The Road Name the VMS screen is located on
- Creation Date of the VMS screen on the UTMC system
- Data Source the VMS information originates from
The Car Park Dynamic Data contains occupancy (where known) and the state of the car park.
- The System Code Number or unique ID.
- Message Text – Full Text shown on screen.
- Message Text Split – Full Text shown on screen. A ~ indicates a line break.
- Sign Setting Reason – Following methods of sign setting:
- No Override – No messages.
- Scheduled Override – Message set on screen on a automated schedule over a period of time.
- Group Scheduled Override – Message set on a number of screens on a automated schedule over a period of time.
- Manual Override – Manually set by a UTMC Operator or Strategy.
- Last Updated information of car park asset on the UTMC system. Normally every 4 mi.
- Lantern State – 0 = No Lanterns, 1 = Flashing Lanterns
- Message Name – Message ID on the VMS control system
- Pictogram ID – Depending on the category type, messages can contain pictograms. These range from Park & Ride (Bus) to Roadworks etc. A ZIP containing BMP files and ID allocations can be downloaded here.
Below is how the above dynamic example is displayed on the street:
The UTMC system currently has the following types of VMS assets:
MS1 – Highways England roads such as A1(M), A194(M) etc.
Pictograms of Lane Closures or Speed Roundels with Lanterns
MS2/MS3 – Highways England roads such as A1, A1(M) etc.
MS2 – 12 or 16 Characters, 2 Lines
MS3 – 18 Characters, 3 Lines
MS4 – North East local authority roads such as A167, A189, A1231 etc.
MS4 – 15 Characters, 4 Lines (Full Colour with pictogram support)
We receive data from the following data sources:
- NTIS – Highways England
- Osprey Bridge – Durham County Council
- SVMS Controller – Tyne & Wear, Northumberland Local Authorities
The following category of VMS messages can be set-up:
Null – None or Highways England MS1/MS2/MS3 text-only display messages
Strategic – Text only
Pictogram Full – Pictogram fills display
Pictogram 1 Line Static – Pictogram on Lines 1, 2 & 3, Line 4 static text
Pictogram 3 Line Static – Pictogram on Lines 1 or 1 & 2, Lines 2, 3 & 4 or Lines 3 & 4 static text
Strategic Car Park Dynamic – Lines 1, 2 3, 4 with static text and dynamic Car Park occupancy
Strategic Journey Time Dynamic – Lines 1, 2 3, 4 with static text and dynamic Journey Times
Pictogram 1 Line Car Park Dynamic – Pictogram on Lines 1, 2 & 3 with static text & dynamic Car Park occupancy on Line 4
Pictogram 3 Line Car Park Dynamic – Pictogram on Lines 1 or 1 & 2 with static text and dynamic Car Park occupancy on Lines 2, 3 & 4 or Lines 3 & 4
Pictogram 1 Line Journey Time Dynamic – Pictogram on Lines 1, 2 & 3 with static text & dynamic Car Park occupancy on Line 4
Pictogram 3 Line Journey Time Dynamic – Pictogram on Lines 1 or 1 & 2 with static text and dynamic Journey Times on Lines 2, 3 & 4 or Lines 3 & 4
Full information on the content of these feeds can be found in the API document located here.
You can view the following examples which use these feeds in some form. If you would like us to consider your application or service to be featured on this page please comment below.
View our live VMS screens in a table format at www.transportnortheast.com.